HomeShopTutorialsMy Gallery Country LivingDriftwoodFurniture PaintingGolden Minds

Sunday 26 May 2013

Summer DIY - Plastic Pot Tutorial - How To Decorate A Planter With Hay, Leaves Or Straw

Hello,

In my new project I decided to use literally what I have within my arm's reach. I imagined an interesting result that I think I can achieve.  

An inspiration for this project were white embossing wall papers and Japanese plaster, that I haven't heard of until recently. But as Stanislaw Lec once said "Be self-learners, do not wait until the life teaches you a lesson".

Getting back to the subject. Embossing wall papers are characterised by specific elegance, interesting three -dimensional effect, or convexity. And the method of performance of Japanese plasters gave me the main idea for creation of my flower pot.  At the very end of my tutorial, I made also two different pots, in slightly different colours, in which the main components were the straw and cut leaves.






For this project you will need:


- plastic garden pot

- stand paper (60-80 grit)

- PVA glue

- scissors

- brush and  clearing foam sponge (cut for small pieces)

- white acrylic paint

- rabbit hay or straw (you can also use some dry leaves or straw)





1. Preparing the base of a flower pot. You need to rub the medium grit sandpaper and flick the dust in order to improve the adhesiveness of our material. 




2. We paint it on white using the previously cut sponge.
    Gently tap it and then leave for drying for half an hour.





3. Now we put the material. We can do it in two different ways. 
A)  Cover the flowerpot with glue. Cut the straw into small pieces. The smaller the pieces the easier it is to glue them to the surface. We sprinkle it to a wet glue. 






B)  Mix the glue with water, add the straw to a bowl. Apply  all with a brush, slightly pressing it. We leave it for drying. 









 4. Once it’s dry, we apply the glue again, pressing the pieces of straw that are not glued. We finish it   with white paint, leaving some spaces unpainted in order to make the colour of the bottom visible.   
You can finish your flowerpot with lacquer.  








You can repet the steps using cut straw.




And another way is to decorate it with cut leaves.







You can find more posts on DIY in the 'Tutorial' tab.
Have fun.

       See you next.....

11 comments:

  1. What an interesting and unusual way to add texture. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are unusual. They'd be lovely in a harvest festival display.

    Thanks for linking up!

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very clever! I would never have imagined that you could do this with those materials!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que idea tan bonita. Me tienes de seguidora y te invito a que conozcas mi blog cuando te apetezca.
    Saludos desde España.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I host a weekly link party called "Seasonal Sundays". This week, in honor of my fourth blog-a-versary, I'm having a giveaway of a $100.00 gift certificate to HomeGoods/TJ Maxx. I'd love to have you join the fun!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joasiu:)
    To jest super pomysł!!! Super pasuje do shabby chic:) ...wiedziałam, że jak wyrzucę te doniczkę, która mi się przewracała po mieszkaniu od tygodni to zaraz będzie mi do czegoś potrzebna...no i masz! Właśnie do tego byłaby super. Pozdrawiam, Jagoda:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jo, I love your project and your tutorial with directions is wonderful. The textures using the natural elements is really unique and interesting. Thank you for sharing this process.
    Thank you also for your kind words on my last post. You are so kind and I will continue to visit as often as I can.
    Blessings, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your creative idea with us. The texture looks natural.

    how to stick plastic to plastic

    ReplyDelete
  9. ΥΠΈΡΟΧΗ ΙΔΈΑ!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! What are the plants with yellow and red flowers called?

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are unusual plants,thanks for your sharing.custom plastic injection molding 

    ReplyDelete

Hello dear readers and friends. Your presence on my blog is very valuable and your nice comments much appreciated. So please sit down and and enjoy with me my virtual journey. :)